Welcome

Welcome Madridistas, friends of football, and even haters alike. I am Bobby, also known as Bobinho. I am the author of Blanco Bonito. I'm back for another season with an all new look, a greater and more anxious desire for Real Madrid success, and a craving for seeing trophies back where they belong! This is where I voice my opinions, discuss tactics, and analyze Real Madrid related topics. I love interaction. Feel encouraged to let yourself be heard. If you have any questions or would like to see a topic or point of interest on the blog, shoot me an email at rmohr5@hotmail.com This blog is a tribute to the greatest club in the world, Real Madrid. My blog is your blog, like Real Madrid is our club. Make yourself at home. Hala Madrid!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

To Rest or Not to Rest?


It would be a disgrace for Real Madrid not to take 3 points at bottom of the table Xerez on Saturday. The Andulusian side only has a pathetic 2 wins from 21 one games. Madrid smashed the lowly outfit 5-0 earlier in the season where Ronaldo scored in what I believe to remember the second minute. I decided to take a different approach to the preview because without overlooking the La Liga fixture this weekend, we have to keep half an eye on Lyon on Tuesday. Don't get me wrong, it is essential to beat Xerez. For the first time in a good number of weeks, Barcelona have a difficult task infront of them because they visit our cross town rivals with a very skewed back line. The blaugrana is missing Pique and Marquez due to suspension and Dani Alves and Abidal missing with injuries. Pep Guardiola has already hinted at youngsters but it is almost without question that we will see Gabi Milito in a once-in-a-blue-moon appearence and rare spotting of Maxwell who transfered from Inter Milan this summer. Puyol will obviously be part of the wounded defense, but with a back four that hasn't played together, or played hardly at all, will they be able to handle players like Aguero, Forlan and co. who scored 4 against Racing last week in the Copa del Rey? We can only hope not. So I decided to go down the roster (excluding the Castilla players who in my opinion should get a call up to this match because I'm not sure which of them if any Pellegrini will summon) and state whether or not I think they should play a part and how much of a part they should play with the Champions League in mind.

1. Iker Casillas - It's an easy one 90 minutes. I don't know the exact figures but Casillas has hardly missed any La Liga matches in his career. He should be on.

2. Alvaro Arbeloa - With our preferred back line (Ramos-Albiol-Garay-Arbeloa) all healthy once again. I think they should all start to get reaquainted (if that's even the right word) or some extra practice before traveling to France.

3. Pepe - Without say, out for the season.

4. Ramos - The Spanish international has done a fine job filling in for the injured Garay at centerback in recent weeks but I think he should get some time back at right back before the Lyon test

5- Gago - Because of the whole Manchester City fiasco, and the fact that we've recently been working with only one holding midfielder, I think Gago is pretty far down the pecking order to play Saturday despite the opposition being Xerez

6. Diarra - I don't know if Big Diarra will see the pitch with one pivot point but he's above Gago for me, always has been.

7. Raul - Last 2 matchdays Raul has been a worthy stand-in with Ronaldo and Higuain absent from the line up. This time it's Benzema with the injury bug and with Raul's minutes limited nowadays, I think he should get atleast 90 minutes. People say that his legs won't carry him that long. That's a lie. Guti is a year older and played 90 against Depor in the midfield. I'm sure if Raul was told he's gonna he 90, he'd be thrilled and work his back side off the whole match.

8. Kaka - Surely I think Kaka can rest. I don't think we need to start him. Maybe give him 20 or so minutes in the second half to keep him fresh but with the way he played last weekend, we will surely need him against Lyon. I don't think he needs to play.

9. Ronaldo - Usually I would be against giving Ronaldo a great deal of time with the Champions League around the corner but because he has missed the last 2 matches, keeping him sidelined for another might not be a great idea. He's a big player for los blancos and we don't want him getting stale, then thrown into the mix from the go in a big match. Give him 60 minutes from the start. That's more than enough time for CR9 to find form. Hell, last time it only took him 2 minutes to score against Xerez. That could be 30 goals for him on Saturday ( I'm only kidding).

10. Lass- If we are playing the single pivot I would split the time at holding midfielder between Lass and Xabi Alonso half and half, maybe give Lass a little less time. Lass wasn't impressive last game and he must know it. Give him a little confidence booster against Xerez.

11. Benzema - despite how he is feeling from his injury, leave him in Madrid. There is a very small percentage he will return against his former club but we don't wanna hurt those chances even more by risking him against Xerez. Easy decision.

12. Marcelo has recovered from his bout with a stomach virus, which caused him to miss training yesterday. He trained without incident today and I'd start him in the midfield on saturday with maybe the long lost Drenthe subbing in for him at half.

13. Dudek - Second best to Iker, will not play.

14. Guti - The evil genious has been instrumental lately and could be the guy that tears appart Lyon. I know this, Guti knows this, and Pellegrini knows this. I vote to give Guti the day off because of his aging legs so he is fresh and fit for the french.

15. Drenthe - Drenthe hasn't seen significant time in a long while. It would be good for him and good for the team if he could get it in for atleast 30 minutes. He is auxillery relief at the moment but I still rate him a useful player and there is no better chance to chance for him to gain confidence than against Xerez.

18. Raul Albiol - Start to finish at Centerback

19. Garay - Same as Albiol. He needs the minutes having missed Depor and Espanyol

20. Gonzalo Higuain - Pipita is arguably our most important player. He already showed last weekend that his form hung out with him the entire time he was injured and that it was never lost. I definately wouldn't give him 90 minutes but he needs some time having only played 15 minutes last match.

22. Xabi Alonso - Often times doesn't get the recognition for victories but is secretly the glue that holds the Real Madrid foundation in place. (Just ask Liverpool). Although The job against Xerez should still get done without him. I like him for the first 45 minutes.

23. Rafael Van der Vaart - Happy Birthday! Anyways, he should play because I said we can rest Kaka. He played the long ball that ultimately lead to Pipita's goal last game.

24. Granero - Fabulous in times of player absense. I can see him playing 90 minutes. He has been great. Keep the starting spot and should play a place against Lyon.

I'm not even going to try and get into Pellegrini's head for this match. Him and I don't often times think on the same plain. However, I conjured up a line up fallowed by my planned substitutions, given everything goes according to plan.


Okay. I'll get to my selection after I list my substitutions.

45' - Drenthe for Marcelo
60' - Lass for Xabi Alonso
- Higuain for Ronaldo

Before you start picking me appart let me explain. Above I mentioned I wanted the back four to play together because they haven't in a while so no surprise there and no surprise with Casillas obviously. Xabi Alonso will play the first hour because we have still just converted to the single pivot and I want him to have one more go at it before we try it out against Lyon. I don't want to kill the guy so I have Lass who desperately wants and needs to improve from his last performance. Marcelo is a better winger than defender that's for sure, and I think we can agree the same with Drenthe so I have those two splitting the match for Drenthe's sake of playing time and because we need to rest Marcelo. Chances are the young Brazilian will play more of a part on Tuesday than his Dutch colleague. Ronaldo needs to get back in the swing of things before the trip to france so I am giving him an hour hard work. Higuain who only played 15 minutes last match will fill in for him at the same time I'd like Lass to replace Xabi Alonso. This still gives Pipita enough time to spread his wings for a bit and some more game time before the trip.

I don't expect everyone to agree with this. I never do (lol). However, this is what I think. I'm interested to hear what other people have to say. You might even change my mind. It's happened before. I would be severely pissed if we don't win against Xerez. Hala Madrid!

Bobby

5 comments:

  1. Read Zizou's recommendation and thought I would pop over to check your site out. Some great reviews, as I already said, if we hadn't slipped up at Osasuna and Bilbao now would be a perfect time to put out some squad players, but the pressure must be great for Pellegrini. The state of the pitch is not up to primera standards at all so key players must get the job done and come off ideally. All the talk here is that Jerez are really up for it but even though they practice on their own pitch a lot of the time and are used the slow ball movement I don't think we should be worried. I agree Raul will be ok for this match, but he slowed down the team last w/e in my opinion, leaving the team as if it were playing with 10 men, well worse even as they kept moving wide to look for the ball. He ran out of puff at the 70 min mark as did Guti and the team definitely noticed it in the second half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no doubt that Raul and Guti run out of steam but still I think they have enough experience to handle xerez. Perhaps if Raul can't make the whole match, maybe Raul Ruiz or Rodrigo to replace him for the last bit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As has been said before, our main concern is the pitch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also that formation might be how it might actually function but seeing Raul playing behind Ronaldo is weird and gives me the feeling that we'll be lacking an out-an-out striker. I know its only Xerez but still!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Idea of Ronaldo as an out an out forward facsinates me because thats what he played against Arsenal in the Second leg of the Champions League Semi Final at the Emirates last season and was awesome. And because It's only Xerez. I think we can afford to try to somethings out against Xerez like u said lol

    ReplyDelete