Welcome

Welcome Madridistas, friends of football, and even haters alike. I am Bobby, also known as Bobinho. I am the author of Blanco Bonito. I'm back for another season with an all new look, a greater and more anxious desire for Real Madrid success, and a craving for seeing trophies back where they belong! This is where I voice my opinions, discuss tactics, and analyze Real Madrid related topics. I love interaction. Feel encouraged to let yourself be heard. If you have any questions or would like to see a topic or point of interest on the blog, shoot me an email at rmohr5@hotmail.com This blog is a tribute to the greatest club in the world, Real Madrid. My blog is your blog, like Real Madrid is our club. Make yourself at home. Hala Madrid!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Penalty Kick Ethics


After this weekend's recent Ronaldo vs Xabi Alonso dispute over who should take the second penalty kick that would eventually be Real's sixth goal of the game, I was bothered about the entire situation. Through long boring lectures at University, I began to redirect my focus from class to the incident. This was what I read on Goal.com which displayed the dialogue between the two Galacticos:

"Cris, give it to me...because I haven't even scored one goal. Let me score one. Let me."

"The next one, I promise you,"

"No, stop. Give me this one. Come on, give me the ball"

If you can't figure out who is who, well I'm sorry, you'll be confused for the rest of the article. This is according to Spanish TV station, Canal. Now I'm not trying to bring anymore attention upon the subject intentionally but it's a subject that must be addressed. This is a Real Madrid issue, and this is a Real Madrid blog. Now, I've read peoples comments about their thoughts about the subject but after observing and talking to some of my trusted football minds, there are a couple different mindsets to how this argument should have been avoided.

First let me dissect Ronaldo with my own thoughts. Everyone knows that Ronaldo has a huge ego. I believe his intentions are team orientated but I think he is transfixed and obsessed with being the player that makes the difference for the team. He also loves his image and reputation. This works both ways. It's positive because Ronaldo hates losing. He will do whatever he can to make sure his side wins, including taking on a lead-by-example role. He has a passion for the sport like few others. However, his passion leads to temper at times. His lead-by-example role makes him believe that he HAS to be the one to make the difference. For example, when he missed the penalty against Ameria and Benzema thumped home the rebound, he didn't celebrate with the Frenchman because he was so upset that he was unable to convert the go-ahead goal himself. His talent is great but it gets to his head as seen in this latest incident. So if Ronaldo can balance the two mindsets between passionate and prick he will go on to achieve more than he comprehends at this point because he has trouble doing what I just described. He does want the team to win. He knows he can't win without them and often when asked about himself in the press he deflects the praise and focus to the club or the team. He did this most recently when Marca reported his warning to Lyon when he made these statements:

"This is the team that is waiting for you and is going to do everything possible to beat you."

"I played well but the team was better. We are a hell of a team."

It's either Ronaldo has good intentions and is team orientated or he just had to find a more modest way to say "I am ready for you and I will beat you all by myself." It's up to you what you'd like to believe. I want to trust that he is a team player for this great club that he won't cause dressing room problems, but his personality always hints in the other direction. Anyway let's get into the ethics and morals of this spat.

I personally have my own opinion of what should have gone down. When Alonso asked to take penalty, Ronaldo, like a good teammate should do, should have smiled back at the Spaniard and said "Yeah, sure Xabi. Common now, get one!" I think it's childish and selfish that Ronaldo didn't grant his teammate (who is just as vital to the team in a more quiet way in my opinion) a goal that has so elusively avoided him. A goal for Alonso would surely lift pressure off his shoulders and maybe lead to a couple more. From what I've seen, most people feel the same way. The correct way to deal with situation would be for Pellegrini (who handled the Guti situation like a true professional) to pull the two aside before training and say something along the lines of:

"I don't know what was said, what it was about, or who was in the wrong. But you two are teammates in the greatest team on the world, professionals. We haven't got time or room for this kind of behavior on this team. Your actions against Villarreal were childish and reflect badly on the Team, the Club, and Yourselves. We're past this. We will hear nothing more about it. Shake on it and get your asses out to training."

Then Ronaldo, realizing he was in the wrong, gives the next penalty to Xabi Alonso. Everything goes back to normal and it's an issue of the past.

I ran the topic behind my close friend and brilliant football mind, who sees the game in a way most people don't see it. He said that the coach should already have the penalty takers set in stone and that without question about who has scored and who has not, that person takes it. That was a wise view I thought. It would have been understood by the whole team and the conflict would have been avoided. It's always a mystery on who will take the penalty for Real. It goes almost by a criteria system. Something like, if Ronaldo hasn't already scored then he takes the penalty and if Ronaldo has already scored but draws the penalty, he takes it, unless he is physically unable. Or if Ronaldo draws it and doesn't want to make his new best friend Kaka upset, he sometimes lets him take it. It's too confusing. How about Ron takes them. If Ron is not on Kaka takes them. If both are not on Xabi Alonso takes them. Simple and affective.

My friend also brought up the point that maybe, as harsh as it may sound, Alonso should get out there and score himself instead of asking for a handout from Ronaldo, who earned the penalty and is primarily the penalty taker (according to the ridiculous criteria lol). This is interesting too because automatically people want to blame Ronaldo's ego for the confrontation. It's hard for me to say Ronaldo was right but maybe Xabi Alonso would want a more memorable goal for his first tally in a white shirt, like one of his midfield blasts where he catches an unsuspecting goalkeeper off his line from around the center cirlcle. I have been wanting a Xabi Alonso goal no matter how it comes but could it possibly be that that wasn't the Spanish international's place? It's a perspective that I didn't think of and I know it was overlooked by many. Just something interesting to think about.

This all comes right after I was expressing my view of "Ronaldo is becoming a good team player" on The Offside comment section. So I'm little stressed on what I should think. I know people have opinions on this. I'd love to see who agrees or who looks at the football world a little differently. I was debating on whether or not to write about this but I think it's a good topic that needs addressing. Hopefully this situation has already been dealt with by our loved Club who always remains image conscience.

Hala Madrid

Bobby

9 comments:

  1. Hi Bobby
    Bottom line Madrid should have designated penalty takers .On the Ronaldo issue the guy wants to be pichichi so he's gonna want to take all the penalties its all part of his i wanna be first in everything mentality.That mentality has made him the great player he is today but the coach should also ensure that it does not get in the way of team spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gabe thanks for the comment. Ronaldo's mentality has made him one of the, if not the greatest player in the modern game. We just dont want his mentality to overtake the team mentality. But I think the best way to avoid conflict is to set in stone that Ron takes all penalties. He wants them he's got them. I didn't even think of the pichichi thing. that could have been has motive for wanted the penalty. Good imput

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rule according to the Spanish media is that Ronaldo and Kaká alternate, as Kaká had left the pitch by then, then it should have been Ronaldo's and some of the argument might have been derived from that. My issue, as I said on the offside site was that having conceded the ball to Xabi a little pat on the back wouldn't have hurt. I have heard many live interviews with Xabi and he comes across as being a very genuine guy. It seems that Ronaldo things his profile is so important to Madrid that he can sulk pubically and get away with it.
    Labomba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ronaldos sulking isn't only immature it reflects badly on the team, and the club. At Manchester United, Furgy was constantly stepping on Ronaldo's ego and putting him in his place, as much as I like Pellegrini, I don't think he is going to babysit Ronaldo like Sir Alex did. Thanks for the comment Labomba

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exactly do you guys know what Ronaldo was 'sulking' about? He had a good game but it wasn't great by his standards at Manchester and he missed a few good chances. Did it ever occur to you or your friends that the game was already won and the guy didn't feel like hopping up and down and had other things on his mind at that point (like flood ravaged Madiera).
    Like Ronaldo said, Casillas didn't celebrate his goals either... should he be forced to celebrate every time. The guy doesn't even celebrate his own goals sometimes!
    I think you like many others obsess and nitpick about Ronaldo too much. It's to the point where everyone 'knows for a fact his intentions' as if they can read minds. It's hilarious. You buy into everything some papers or web journalist (Sid Lowe) says, as if they don't try to sensationalize everything.
    The bottom line is the 6 years he spent at United, none of his teammates have slated him as being a cancer in the dressing room. Everyone has been positive, especially Sir Alex who isn't afraid to speak truthfully. Sir Alex hasn't got the time to babysit anyone, btw.
    If you want to learn how his teammates feel about him, search for Arbeloa's quotes or Pepe's about him.....they're all positive.

    Everything with Ronaldo is 'polemic' (rolls eyes).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that's certainly a harsh view. Sulking could be a bit of a harsh word, but clearly based on the dialogue that was displayed on Canal, there was a dispute and when things don't go Ronaldo's way he gets upset. If you don't know that, you don't watch football. Champions League final last year, him constantly throwing his arms up. he tries to do things himself when things dont go his way. It's a Ronaldo trait. As much as you may love him, you have to admit it. No one wants to see Ron succeed like me because he is always under pressure and criticism.

    Also, I don't recall any of us saying that Ronaldo is a team Cancer.. I don't recall us saying that his teammates dont like him either. There are always disputes on the field. For instance Casillas and Guti vs Sevilla. Not only have Arbeloa said positve things about CR9 but so has Casillas, Higuain, Guti, Kaka, Higuain, Ramos, and others. As for the sir Alex thing, even Ronaldo himself that The Manchester Utd boss curbed his ego.

    Also I suggested that at least 2 reason why Ronaldo was not to blame. But in the end Ronaldo does come off as petulant and sulking at times. and it doesnt reflect well on the team. We don't need that

    ReplyDelete
  7. but no doubt Ronaldo played a great game. I don;t mean to take away from his performance by anything he was tremendous. Just as gabe pointed out. His ego and mentality have made him the player he is

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll leave it alone after this. However, I watched the game and followed other commentary that made nothing of xabi taking the penalty and cristiano's reaction, so it was a non-issue for me and others. I've never heard audio of the video, so how do we know that is in fact the true dialogue and it hasn't been embellished? In fact even if those were the words I don't have a problem with it because, significantly, he could and had the right to tell xabi 'NO'.

    I bet Ronaldo would get slated as being egotistical had penalty duty been Xabi's and Ronaldo wanted to take the penalty. People would be saying how its xabi's duty and ronaldo is unprofessional for wanting to disrupt the team rules. LOL

    I think Ronaldo suffers from his reputation and all his actions/ omissions are judged based on said reputation. Mind you, he is responsible for having that reputation with some of the stuff he's done. However a lot of the stuff in the past was overblown because Ronaldo sells papers and stirs debate, imo. As I said before, I can't judge some his actions because they aren't unequivocal so can't tell his intentions.

    Btw, I think people stress ego too much like he's the only person with it. Plenty of people have big ego's and haven't achieved anything. He works hard and he's talented, simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay I can agree with that. Ronaldo does often time take the blame for his ego. He is a very strong personality and a lot of the time takes the blame because he is very strong willed. People love to point the finger at him. and its not fair. He carries a lot of pressure but I think it's fair to say sometimes he brings it upon himself. but I've appreciated ur comments. makes good debate.

    Even like Casillas said (which was kinda gay) Something along the lines of "you can tell ccristiano is a true professional, just look at his body" made me laugh lol

    ReplyDelete