Welcome

Welcome Madridistas, friends of football, and even haters alike. I am Bobby, also known as Bobinho. I am the author of Blanco Bonito. I'm back for another season with an all new look, a greater and more anxious desire for Real Madrid success, and a craving for seeing trophies back where they belong! This is where I voice my opinions, discuss tactics, and analyze Real Madrid related topics. I love interaction. Feel encouraged to let yourself be heard. If you have any questions or would like to see a topic or point of interest on the blog, shoot me an email at rmohr5@hotmail.com This blog is a tribute to the greatest club in the world, Real Madrid. My blog is your blog, like Real Madrid is our club. Make yourself at home. Hala Madrid!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sank the Submarine


Los Blancos responded well to their more than disappointing Champions League loss to Lyon. The score finished 6-2 but it didn't always look like the Merengue were running away with it. The men in yellow cut the lead back to just one goal on two separate occasions giving me one or two reasons to bite my nails. However, our prolific strike force's torpedoes eventually sent the submarine to a watery grave below fortress Bernabeu. Although I was furious at giving up goals this game proved that we can overcome setbacks and adversity to eventually triumph. Hopefully we can take the lesson learned and transform it into a similar performance when OL come back to visit in March.

Summer spending payed off again. Four of the six goals were scored by new faces. Dos for Kaka, uno for Ronaldo, and Xabi Alonso tallied his first goal in a Real Madrid Uniform. May I offer him my congratulations. The game also acted as a stat booster for many. Ronaldo not only scored, he marked 2 assists and also drew the penalty that Xabi Alonso took (twice lol). Pipita returned to scoring form with 2 pieces of cheese. He is in 3rd place running for Pichichi with 14 goals, 2 goals off the leader, Messi, if my memory serves me correctly. Marcelo added to his assist total with his cross for Higuain's second which makes 6 goals created for the young Brazilian this season. In all fairness I think los blancos should have won by a few goals more. Ronaldo and Kaka both failed when 1v1 with the keeper and Ronaldo's breakaway was wrongly called offside. Madrid seem to rise to the challenge everytime it was thrown at them. When Villarreal scored we made it a bigger gap. When they scored again, we did the same. When Kaka converted the penalty I texted a fellow Madridista, and said "2 goals from deadballs. I want 1 from open play." Madrid then rose to that challenge as well.

Refereeing decisions were a question in this match. Many people seem to think that the penalty Ronaldo drew was a dive. Honestly I thoughts he got clipped from behind but honestly people, was it a match changing decision? No. On Higuain's first goal, when Arbeloa played the ball up the line to CR9, he did appear to be off by a step. However, later in the match as I said above, Ronaldo was called off when he was most certainly on. Though he had been flagged, play continued and he dribbled around the goalkeeper and passed the ball home. These decisions were not all correct but nonetheless wouldn't have changed the result.

We were a totally different team from what I saw in France. We were so lively. Runs in behind the back line on so many different occasions. The ability to find players was 20 times what it was on Tuesday. Creativity was a major boost. I think it raises more questions about our away form. I mean sure, our European away form has been good other than this loss, but we beat Zurich and Marseille away and only tied Milan. It's not like we beat the best team in our group. Our La Liga away form hasn't been pretty at all, a loss to Sevilla, a loss to Barca, a Loss to Bilbao, and Draws at Gijon and Osasuna where we failed to score both times. The only real significant away win that we've recorded was our thriller against Valencia, and if you think about it it that's probably the best team that we've beaten all season. We still have lots of hype to live up to ladies and gentlemen, but I'm gonna stop being pessimistic on a day with reason to be optimistic. Just pointing a few things out.

Let's start with what I was not pleased with, Lassana Diarra. Many player have hot and cold games but Lass has had and cold minutes. He is the fastest changing Dr. Hyde and Mr. Jekyll. He fouls too much. Right after Marco Senna scores from a well taken free kick, he goes and clatters some yellow shirt from behind a yard or two off the top of the arc. Needs to be smarter. Needs to stop dribbling. He looks a much better player when he plays it quick. I'm surprised Pellegrini hasn't said something more about it. Arbeloa played a good game but what bothers me is he always gets beat on a give and go (one-two). Track your defender, don't get caught ball watching. Wingers will get a free cross every time. For once, Marcelo wasn't horrific on defence but he can always do better. I can definitely call it an improvement from the Lyon game. Ramos, all I can say is class. I know he is a right back but he is a damn good center back as well. He too was beat by a one-two on Villarreal's second goal, scored by Nilmar, but that counter attack should have never happened. Too many opportunities to shut it down. We need to make sure we don't put too much emphasis on offense that we forget we have a goal of our own.

I don't know if it's just me, but Pellegrini seems to make subs very late on in matches. I know in this case it was okay because we needed to establish a gap in scoreline when the Yellow Submarine doesn't go away, but the subs hardly get any time to adapt to the match. Raul, Van der Vaart, M. Diarra, I can't even tel lyou how they played really. I'm never going to complain when we get a result like 6-2, but I don't even know what to say about them. I can say that today is the first time where I thought Guti wasn't missed as much. We had plenty of creativity. Granero may not get the credit for today but I thought he was solid. Quiet, but solid. He keeps the play moving in midfield. He doesn't do anything out of his element but links together big pieces like Higuain, Ronaldo, and Kaka. Benzema wasn't missed either today. Higuain found form again and it didn't look as if we would have needed him today anyway. With that said, I'm still sure it will be a boost when he returns to the squad.

This win will be in the back of Barcelona's head. When Villarreal visited them, the two shared the points. Now that we are within 2 points of the blaugrana and we are tallying up 6 goal performances in a still perfect record at home, where they still have to visit, they can definitely feel our hot breath on their necks. This match puts a smile on my face once again and I can look at the crest and know that we haven't failed it last time we took the field. Well done. Next up we have Tenerife away. We are expected to pick up 3 points there. Malaga visit Barcelona but I don't think the Catalans will drop anything there.

Hala Madrid!

Bobby

No comments:

Post a Comment