Welcome

Welcome Madridistas, friends of football, and even haters alike. I am Bobby, also known as Bobinho. I am the author of Blanco Bonito. I'm back for another season with an all new look, a greater and more anxious desire for Real Madrid success, and a craving for seeing trophies back where they belong! This is where I voice my opinions, discuss tactics, and analyze Real Madrid related topics. I love interaction. Feel encouraged to let yourself be heard. If you have any questions or would like to see a topic or point of interest on the blog, shoot me an email at rmohr5@hotmail.com This blog is a tribute to the greatest club in the world, Real Madrid. My blog is your blog, like Real Madrid is our club. Make yourself at home. Hala Madrid!

Friday, January 1, 2010

The Left Back Dilema


All Real Madrid supporters at this time know that we haven't ever exactly solved the whole that Roberto Carlos left when he moved on to Turkish football. I don't know about the rest of the lot but I am less than satisfied about what we have done to make sure that a player will secure that spot and make it his own. Lately, Pellegrini has decided on summer arrival of Arbeloa from Liverpool who is actually a right back by trade. Because of injuries to Ronaldo and Kaka in the first half of the season, Marcelo, whose position is left back, has been used in the midfield because of his pace and technical ability. And then there is Drenthe who looked oh so promising but has confidence issues (he's not been right since Di Stefano told him he needs to cut his hair, however I don't mind the locks; adds character)

I'm not going to hide my feelings throughout the article. I don't think Arbeloa has the quality. Others would argue that he is a solid defender, he just doesn't give anything going forward. This is my opinion, but the guy as very frightening, gives balls away. It scares me. I cringe when I see him in the line up. He stated that he wanted to leave Liverpool because they were bringing in Glen Johnson and he didn't want to play behind the England international. So logically he decided he would come to Real Madrid where he though beating out Ramos might be easier? Doesn't make sense. He has Ronaldo and Kaka to thank for being injured because that meant the left back position was easier to fight for with Marcelo up the field. I mean I could be a little hard on the fellow because he is playing out of position, but even at right back I feel the same way. He didn't even look good against Alcorcon in the first leg (then again who did?). I mean it's not like I think he is hopeless. On a lighter note, I think he is the perfect player to fill in for Ramos. We aren't really gonna find a more high profile player that would be willing to come to Madrid and sit on the bench as a right back. I mean we need someone to step in if Ramos is hurt or suspended but for me he's not a starting XI player at Real Madrid.

Drenthe, as I mentioned, has confidence issues. He has great technical ability and works his rear end off on both sides of the ball. He is a tremendous athlete. However, he doesn't get the time of day from Pellegrini. This further contributes to his demise because that's another hit to this player sensitive side. Last year the boy practically had a nervous break down when the home fans weren't happy with his performance. He shows his worth in spurts though. The goal against A.C. Milan, he drew a penalty against Atletico last year. He also has a very convincing step over. I wish he would figure out what he is worth because if he believes it, then he'll start playing with some intestinal fortitude. Then we'll start to believe in him too, as well as coaches and the club. I think he is promising but he is just in a rut. If he can dig himself out, I can see him doing well. One more thing about Drenthe. If your playing left back then you have defensive responsibility. I know your job is often times to get beyond the midfielders and serve balls into the box but don't get caught out and have us beat over top when your not in the clear to get yourself into the attack. Try not to get beat over top. Keep track of that winger my friend.

The young Brazilian. Now like Pellegrini, when everyone is healthy, Marcelo would be my first choice left back. Okay Okay, I know he lacks a little defensively. He's not a great tackler but he's a bomb going forward. He's crafty and quick. If he partners up with Kaka down the left (if Pelle chooses to put Kaka there), they can be very dangerous together. If you must know, Marcelo is my first choice right back on FIFA10. He has really burst onto the scene in the last year and I've been very impressed. If he is guided in the right direction, maybe he could be the heir to the Roberto Carlos thrown. Perhaps. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I mean how many other world class (I'm not talking pretty good, or solid) left backs are there in the world? Evra, Ashley Cole? Lahm fell off. Maybe Chichy. I mean it's not easy work but Marcelo is so young and has all the tools to be something special. That's my first choice.

Tell me what you think. I am interested to hear what you have to say. I know there are plenty of other points to argued and I'm sure many of you disagree. Let's hear it. I'm not here to educate you. I'm here to state my opinion and learn from yours.

Bobby

8 comments:

  1. Left back is a tough position to fill with a world class player because it is difficult to find a classy left footed defender. I lol'd at Arbeloa's reason for leaving the reds. I think it was that dollar bill but thats neither here nor there. Drenthe might need a change of scenery because I think he has nightmares of the bernabeau faithful. Marcelo is the choice i feel

    ReplyDelete
  2. He plays the slick football that you guys like to play. I really don't think he's that bad in the back. It just seems that every time he has a slip up he's either benched or moved to let back. Let the man grow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry....moved to left mid not let back lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. There we go. My man Guelinho. He plays the beautiful football we love to enjoy. 1 yay to zero nays lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big Nay here, i discussed this with you on the offside but i will re write it here. We might be seeing different things on the pitch, but marcelo lacks a lot of defensive qualities other than just tackling. Positioning is actually his biggest problem. His other problem is not getting back to defense fast enough after going forward leaving a lot of spaces at the back.


    I am a fan of Drenthe, but i think he should get loaned out to a spanish club in the winter to help him build confidense and experience. I also think that arbeloa's defensive duties give Ramos more freedom to bomb forward more freely, which we all know he loves oh so much.

    Last note, how about Marcos alonso from the Castilla? He is young, and a spanish youth international and has been said to be a good talented young player. He was even called up for the game against valencia but never took part in it.


    Arbeloa all the way. We have a lot of attacking power going forward, we need some defensive security!

    Hala Madrid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha thanks bassam. I know your an arbeloa fan at left back!

    Bt i'm anxious to get a better look marcos alonso! I wanna see what the guy can do. I'm all in favor of our home bread talent. Like corey's article, we've let go of so much talent. I'm keen to hold on to some now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yepp i'm with Bassam, Arbeloa for me to, also i think the reason he came to be a sub for Real than at Liverpool is because he's from our academy and i'm sure playing for Real was his dream wereas Liverpool not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps he said that as an excuse to leave liverpool. He should've thought of a better excuse to come home. But let's be honest. its everyones dream to play for Madrid :)

    ReplyDelete